There are numerous things to visit during a holiday in Maratea. They range from naturalistic beauties, to the riches of the historical and artistic heritage, to places where you can simply spend a good time with your travel companions.
- Statue of Christ the Redeemer: It undoubtedly represents the main tourist attraction of the Maratea area. Destination for many tourists throughout the year, it is located on the top of Monte San Biagio. With its 21 meters it is second in height only to the Christ of Rio. At the foot of the statue it is possible to admire a unique panorama that embraces the entire gulf. The road you take to get there is also very spectacular. In summer it is possible to reach the parking lot by car a few hundred meters from the statue and proceed on foot or by shuttle service.
- Palazzo De Lieto:Seat of the marine archeology museum. The palace was built to be the first hospital in Maratea, today it houses the perennial exhibition of underwater archeology.
What To See In the Surroundings Of Maratea
Leaving the town of Maratea, it is possible to visit some places certainly worthy of interest such as:
- Trecchina:About 20 km from Maratea, the town surrounded by beautiful chestnut woods, perfect for an excursion immersed in the calm of the mountain. The Trecchina chestnut is used in many ways and in many recipes definitely worth trying like ice cream! The town is also famous for the “Pane di Trecchina”, (bread of Trecchina) a real delicacy.
- Parco Nazionale Del Cilento:Another Unesco heritage site, it is located entirely in the province of Salerno and includes numerous places of interest such as the Archaeological Site of Paestum, the archaeological area of Velia, the Cilento coast, the Marine Protected Area of Castellabate and many museums.
- Certosa di San Lorenzo:Also known as Certosa Di Padula, it is located in the municipality of Padula about an hour from our B&B. Declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco. The gardens, the large cloister and the prior quarter are beautiful. The spiral staircase leading to the library is certainly worthy of note.
- Grotta del Romito:Going this time towards the south, about an hour from Maratea, in the municipality of Papasidero, it is possible to visit the Grotta del Romito where it is possible to admire one of the oldest testimonies of prehistoric art in Italy. The most important find is the rock carving of the Bos Primigenius. At the site there are also burials dating back to 11 thousand years ago.